Thursday 21 September 2017

Flipped Classroom Exit Slip

The concept of the flipped classroom clearly has a lot of positives and is great, with or without a little tweaking. I love the idea of being able to think about these objects for some time before coming to class. I love the concept, as a teacher, of building on things they have already seen and have at least a minor amount of experience with, even if they are not yet proficient.

Using fellow students as tutors in the classroom is also great. When I was a student, I learned the most when I had to teach someone else. And I think those students learned more comfortably from me because we were at the same level. It was less intimidating for them than asking the teacher and I spoke their "language".

I also know that a good friend of mine on the autism spectrum is more comfortable in an impersonal setting and watching videos/reading articles is the best way for him to learn.

In a way, we are currently learning with a flipped classroom model - reading articles at home and then discussing them in class. And I am definitely learning a lot. It saves time and allows me to read at my own pace, re-reading passages that were more complicated, or that didn't fully sink in the first time around because I was daydreaming. And the more times we go over concepts with students, the more chances they have for it to sink in.

I love leaving the classroom as a place for them to think, talk among themselves, and explore the concepts, more than a place to just drill information into their brains.

No comments:

Post a Comment