Thursday 12 October 2017

Tolerance Vs Embracing in Earth and Space Science/General Science

I was always encouraged to study science in my home and never overtly made to feel unwelcome, but there were few women role models for me in the field of geology. The big names were always men - not just men, but white men. It made me feel out of place. There seems to be a preference for celebrating white men in science fields, and it would help students feel more welcome to have a variety of role models. For example, I only learned about Watson and Crick when we were studying the structure of DNA in biology, never Rosalind Franklin. I try now, when discussing space exploration with students, to show and discuss work being done all over the world, by people of diverse backgrounds. There are interesting astronauts and space scientists from all over the world, but few people in Canada know of the amazing work being done in places like India, China, or the United Arab Emirates.

I also think that teaching in ways that are accessible to people from different backgrounds and cultures is very important, but I still have a lot to learn in this area. I was raised and educated in Canada, and school has always been a familiar and relatively comfortable environment for me. I see now that maybe it wasn't so for everyone in my classes. So how can I make a science class welcoming for everyone? Role models are definitely not enough. Clearly not putting them down is important, and listening to their concerns, but how can I be more proactive? The students should have agency and choice in how they learn, but how can I support that kind of diversity in a large classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment